Sunday, February 6, 2011

Welcome

My name is James March and I am a teacher at Springfield High School in Oregon.  Last summer, 4 students and I traveled over 3,300 miles by bicycle along the Lewis and Clark Trail from St. Louis, MO to Seaside, OR.  The 47 days I spent traveling with my students reaffirmed my belief in the power of experiential travel.  I saw my student’s confidence grow with every crest of a mountain pass and witnessed their ingenuity and fortitude when weather or equipment failed to cooperate.  At every turn of the adventure, we were humbled and inspired through acts of kindness by strangers.  Read more about our journey here at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/lewisandclark2010

My bike tan lines were still fresh when people began to ask of a follow-up adventure.  After a month of deliberation, a new group of enthusiastic students will be ditching the bikes for a good pair of walking shoes.  We will travel to Spain to cover the 500 miles of the Camino de Santiago in 30 days, staying in hostels reserved for “pilgrims” along the way.  In the evening we will share dorms with and get to know travelers from all over the world.  By day we will simply walk, and with any luck,  get to know ourselves.   

This blog will be updated more frequently as the summer approaches.  In the meantime, we will continue to fundraise to cover the costs of the trip.  We are relying heavily upon donations from friends and family, which can be made through the Adventure Club at our school.  Please email us for more information if you would like to get involved!  Thank you for your kind support of these brave students, our school, and our community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment